Sunday, September 2, 2012

Freedom of Speech


            Freedom of speech, “right to petition” between students, faculty members, and Administers is more of a communication issue.  Communication was a factor between students and the other governing bodies. Public transportation was cut back for to hour periods, which affected students from going on with their daily routines. I was part of Student Government Association (SGA) at my Junior College. While an abundance of students expected to hear that not many students had a voice.  I felt that I had a responsibility to bridge the gap between communication students and other governing bodies.
            I had the students get signatures for a petition. The students got the signature required for a petition and took it to the Transportation service company. They petition wasn’t enough of an argument that the economy really had a down turn. So they couldn’t service between 6:00pm, 7:00pm, and 8:00.
            I presented the issue to the Governance and Planning it may seem a little scary at the time. I was on the agenda for the Governance and Planning as I was a board member. I presented the issue to the board that students didn’t have transportation during after 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. and in fact some students got out of class at about 6:00p.m; therefore, waiting 3 hours for the only transportation they may have. Yet, I stated that because of the draw backs of the economical situation they weren’t going every hour. So, they stop transportation at the campus for 3 periods.
            The college president said he would look into the situation, which he would take matters into his own hands. Next, meeting he addressed the issue and said there would be a hotline telephone number for anyone needing a ride between those hours. I found this great communication is an art.

No comments:

Post a Comment